Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solidworks flow simulation - Rotating region within rotating region? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodRico

Automotive
Apr 25, 2016
US
I want to assess the behavior of oil in the assembly below. In the real system, the piston assembly with its roller follower rotate within the cam ring while the cam itself remains stationary. I'm fine with holding the piston and its roller follower in place and counter-rotating the cam, however. Either way, there is one rotating region encompassing the cam and another encompassing the roller follower which is wholly contained in the cam's rotating region. Is it possible to have rotating regions inside rotating regions? Note I'm a newbie when it comes to flow simulation and am currently in the terribly confused part of the learning curve!

image_o1_geedxf.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you're dealing with non-trivial motion it's sometimes easier to use a particle method rather than a mesh based approach, they save a lot of time in preprocessing. This article gives an intro to how particle based methods work and why they can be better for this type of problem.

Senior Application Engineer
enginsoftusa.com

JamesCrist said:
When you're dealing with non-trivial motion it's sometimes easier to use a particle method rather than a mesh based approach...
Particleworks looks very applicable to what I'm doing, but I imagine it's quite costly, right?
I'm an individual inventor using Solidworks because I get the Professional suite for only $20 a year under their veterans program.
I can certainly afford more than $20, but I usually find I can't afford most professional software packages.

RodRico said:
Particleworks looks very applicable to what I'm doing, but I imagine it's quite costly, right?
I'm an individual inventor using Solidworks because I get the Professional suite for only $20 a year under their veterans program.
I can certainly afford more than $20, but I usually find I can't afford most professional software packages.

It's certainly tough to beat $20/yr but it could still be worth it to reach out and see if there are any options in your budget.

Senior Application Engineer
enginsoftusa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back