Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks Geometry to COMSOL - Microfluidic Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phebotalus

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2009
US
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to take a microfluidic chip model I created in SolidWorks and transfer it to COMSOL. I have the LiveLink module which allows me to transfer whatever I do in SolidWorks to COMSOL directly, but my application is not so straight forward.

I need to get the microfluidic channel geometry to COMSOL and for CFD, I need a solid model outline of the channels, which right now have been cut out of a irregular part. The channels are also of different shapes and sizes, so re-creating the geometry in COMSOL is not preferable.

My question is if there is an easy way to get a solid model of a channel profile I want, such as taking a negative of an extrude, etc. For example, I have attached a picture showing a representative chip with cut channel, and then then solid channel profile I would like to get. Again the chip I am using is not purely rectangular, but it's to show the concept.

Thank you,

Phebotalus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes there is, you can create an extrude that envelops the shape and uncheck the "Merge Result" box, then you have all freedom to use a Combine feature and play with the options, or use offset surface with a distance of 0 and then use a cut with surface outward.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back