Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks large scale custom properties load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2013
US
Hello all,

My company has recently purchased Windchill 10.1 PDM link M040 to manage our AutoCAD and Solidworks data. our previous system was a hap hazard manual file management system that I now have to go through piece by piece and fix to get it to load into Windchill. Additionally, I have an antiquated ERP system I have to interface with. Go me!

I have little knowledge of Solidworks macros and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a script or macro i can use to do a massive custom properties upload. I have used task scheduler and that works great for consistent data that is in common with all the files I am working with but its not able to assign different values across different files. For example "Description" is a property that varies from file to file.

I have an excel spreadsheet that has all the file names and all the attributes I need to write to the custom properties of those files.

Essentially I need a Macro or script that can open a Solidworks document referenced in a cell on my spreadsheet, then write the "custom property" names which would be a consistent range of cells, then write the "type", also a consistent range of cells, then write the "value", which would be a range of cells that are associated to the file that is open, then save the file, close and run the next file, and so on.

I can easily reconfigure the spreadsheet to what ever is required to get this to work if there is something available.

Also has anyone else had any experience with using Windchill and Solidworks? I have numerous issues with understanding how virtual parts and virtual assemblies are treated and if there are any settings, or work arounds I need to be aware of.

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back