Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Mouse Customization

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelbeebe

Industrial
Dec 7, 2011
US
I've just switched from 2008 to 2012 and there's a new feature where, when I double click the middle wheel, it zooms to fit. The problem is probably my mouse, but SW is frequently zooming to fit when I'm just trying to rotate and inspect my model.

Does anyone have an idea of how or where to turn off this double click-zoom to fit feature?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At a quick check I can not find a solution inside the solidworks software. I use a Logitech mouse which allows me to change the middle button to a different button on the mouse so that I dont accidentally double click. You can use the software to make the changes for specific programs so mouse button layouts are different for each program.

@Cabs: I have a logitech mouse too... The middle button is used for rotate, which I like, so if I change it to a different function, I'd lose that right?

I changed one of the thumb buttons to middle button too which hasn't had the accidental double-click happen. So that works, but it's a little weird, I wish the mouse would just work right, or maybe be less sensitive...

@Limey: I do have them enabled, but it's all right-click and drag stuff and none of it's zoom to fit... Are you thinking I could move the rotate command there?

Thanks for the responses guys.

No, I was wondering if the MMB was acting like an RMB and any movement was Unwittingly activating a gestures function.

I believe the problem lies with the mouse software, but just for the hell of it, try deactivating MG and see if the problem still exists.

JoelBeebe,

You could probably change your double click sensitivity.

In answer to your question there is no way to disable the double click functionality because it's not a command just an internal setting.

The double click to fit I think was originally implemented in 3DVia to Zoom Fit and the Smart People at SolidWorks decided to integrate it into their product.
Or because the F key is too hard to reach [smiley]

This would be like disabling the option to click on the Triad Axis to set normal to screen or flip normal. Maybe they could add some check boxes in the customize window like they currently have to reverse Mouse Wheel Zoom Direction which I never have checked. I like rolling down to zoom in so I have to flip my brain when using Go0gle or Yaho0 maps.

Michael

@Limey: I turned of gestures and it seems to have reduced the frequency of the accidental MB double-click, but it's happened a few times.

I've also started using the thumb button instead of the MB out of habit now, so I think I'll just reset that muscle memory. :)

@mjcole: Thanks for the info. I tried looking in the settings of the logitech software, but couldn't find anything for sensitivity. I think the issue is that the MB has the wheel, click and then clicks on the sides for R and L scrolling. Logitech is getting some cross-mojolation going on and freakin me out.

I think the "dumber" thumb button will do the work for me now.

Thanks all.

@Joelbeebe:

Which mouse do you have from logitech?
What version of set point are you running?

I know my middle wheel button is tough to click dead on due to the scroll right and left buttons connected to the middle wheel.

I also moved the middle button to the thumb button and changed what the middle mouse button does because of my hand placement on the mouse. I had the same problem as you do now.

Michael, in 11 years of SW I've never clicked "on the Triad Axis to set normal to screen or flip normal." Something new everyday (or memory loss?)

thanks, Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back