Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Network license not releasing license

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRF

Automotive
Apr 7, 2005
US
We have 5-6 machines with Solidworks or Solidworks Explorer loaded on them. We have one license for Professional that allows us to use Workgroup PDM. There are times that the Solidworks Professional license will not be released. One example that happened this morning. I launched solidworks then loaded the rendering package, part of the Pro License. I exited solidworks and someone tried to use the Workgroup PDM. They were not. It took about 2 hours before the license server said I no longer had the Pro license checked out. This has happened in the past and the only solution we have is to wait. Our servers are locked down and only an off site IT company has access. They do not know anything about Solidworks or how the license server works.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes so end users can get the license server to realize we are no longer using certain add ins? We have had this same problem with our FlowSimulation package.

Thank you for your time and help,
Glenn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try installing the SNL server to one of your local machines and point all the PC's to the local PC you installed the SNL on. Then try the same process, (confirm that the SW process did actually quit and is not still running in the background). It is very important to confirm the process does stop on the PC that was doing the Photoview, because if that process is still open the SNL manager will see the license is still out. If it works then the server is the problem.

Any PC can be used as a server when it comes to the SNL. I would recommend to use a PC that is not going to shut down at night of course.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I know the process stopped on the local machine because I rebooted my computer more than once after I stopped the rendering.

Switching to a local computer is not an option for us.[COLOR=][/color]

Switching to a local SNL temporarily for a quick check is not an option??? Sounds like IT is not interested in troubleshooting a problem.

Be sure to engage your SolidWorks reseller to help you through the issue.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2014 SP2, Windows 7 x64

I don't see how you cannot at least test it... as former Tech support rep for a VAR this would be my first suggestion to your issue. if you or your IT cannot rule out the server as the issue your going to have to continue to deal with this problem.

We have several seats here on SNL and that has never happened for us. The SNL manager is a basic installation and if you are having a problem such as this its usually the server that is the culprit, not the SNL manager.

Good luck!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

We only have this once and a while. For the past 3 years we have had a Windows Server 2003 that was local in our office and we had this problem once and a while. Two weeks ago we moved the license server to a new Windows 2012 server. We have seen this once or twice now.

We have an off site IT service so trying to coordinate anything with reseller and our IT company is a pain in the butt.

In the past this was not a major issue because there were only 3 of us that were needing to use some of the Windows Pro features (we have 2 standard and 1 pro license). Now we have 3 solidworks users and 2-3 Solidworks Explorer users that will need to access the Workgroup PDM license that comes with Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back