Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks on a MAC (apple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony1234

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2004
US
I am running SW on an IBM T40. My lease is up at the end of the year, and the bossman says I can't replace it. Not sure why. Anyway, I wouldn't mind having a Powerbook, but I'm not too sure I can run SW, even using Virtual PC. Anyone know of any success stories.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't heard of any successes running SW on Macs. Look into the Dell M70.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Are there any less expensive options? I guess I should ask which options I should really focus on, since they could sway the price $1k. I've been in an endless argument with my IT dept. about graphics cards, speed, memory, etc. They always want to give me the minimum allowable to get by. Let's hear it from the pro's! What should I request and why??? Is a workstation the only way to go? I've had pretty good luck with my IBM T40.

It depends on what type of tasks and types of products you are doing with SW. The requirements will be different between someone that models a pair of tweezers vs. someone that models a Mars Rover vs. someone that imports models to make molds vs. someone that is only creating detailed part drawings.

Search in this Forum, there are tons of previous topics that discuss this in greater detail, but the most important thing (notebook or desktop) is to have a graphics card that is certified for use with SW (check the SW website).

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I understand the level of complexity is an issue. But I've seen 1000 part assemblies run faster than my single part, 100 feature files. I do a lot of weird surfacing and usually intense patterns to copy those surfaces. I make molds for these parts as well, which adds to the problem. Any suggestions on where to focus, i.e. processor, graphics card, etc.??
I went thru the forum quite a ways, but still am not getting solid results. Has anyone laid out the comparisons between a Dell, IBM, or any other system in a laptop??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back