Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks on Vista with 9800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonful

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2008
AU
Hi all
i am new here

got problom with solidworks running on my computer.
i just got my computer built with four core cpu and Ge force 9800GT GPU.

i got the SW2008 sp0 instaled, when the SW runs
the window shows the main title bar, but in the object viewing window, shows nothing, i have tried disable my GPU, and use software opengl, it works, but looks really not good.

i have checked on the GPU vendor website, it states that 9800GT supports openGL,
and i also check on the solidworks wed, theres a list of certified GPU, none of the ge force series is in the list.

heres the question, is that the problom of the GPU it self?
or there some setting that i havent setup proprly?
the 9800GT model GPU isnt that old model, so i guess it shouldt be have any problom to run SW?

can anyone help me?
thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well
change the video card is the last thing i will do ,

but i know people using GeForce seris video card even older version that 9800GT can running solidwork 2008 with no prob,
so i guess the nVidia Geforce 9800GT should be able handle this job??

You guessed wrong. Seeing an improvement after enabling software OpenGL proves the problem lies with the card.

The age of the Geforce card is immaterial. The Geforce cards are gaming cards and as such are not suitable for CAD work. That is why the Geforce cards are not listed on the SolidWorks site. Some of them work fairly well with some systems, but if you are experiencing problems, that is the first pace to look.

But if changing the card is the last thing you will do, you are setting yourself up for a lot of unnecessary troubleshooting and frustration.

[cheers]

As a former AE, I can tell you that you won't be able to get any help from your VAR with issues if you're not using approved hardware. All too often, users go for gaming cards and wind up having nothing but problems. There's a reason SolidWorks tests graphics cards...

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE

Just as a quick thing, you're running on Vista. When I initially ran Solidworks on my Vista machine with an NVidia Video Card, it periodically crapped out. Upgrading to SP 3.1 and now 4.0 (you're still on 0.0) actually helped with the problem.

-Kyle

Kyle Chandler

"To the Pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the Optimist, the glass is half-full. To the Engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!"

Geforce cards are not supported so that means you cannot expect SW to run on these cards. Its not to say they won't work, but you have to be willing to understand that if you are crashing or having lots of problems with running that card then its probably the card and that is just the way it is.

I understand at home my GF 6600 GT is not supported, but does run SW pretty good. Its not one I recommend to anyone, because I understand that this card is not supported and will never be supported. So if it crashes I blame the card its just how it is.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

thanks for the all the replys

i got vista ultimate 32 bit

let me try upgrade it to sp 3.0 see if it will work .

well, one thing i dont understand, i know ppl ussing vista home preimum, with older model for GeForce video card, can run the SW sp0, with mo prob,
so why wont the 9800 model?

Like I said, "Some of them work fairly well with some systems, but if you are experiencing problems, that is the first pace to look."

Some people are born lucky ... apparently you weren't.

[cheers]

There are many questions like this. How come some people can eat whatever they want and don't get fat? You can analyze it all you want, but in the end the fat people have to eat what they don't want to and get more exercise if they want to get healthy. Quit complaining and jump on the treadmill (buy a Quadro). Or just get your stomach stapled (use software OpenGL).

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Well I have a similar situation, running Windows XP Pro, ATI All I Wonder X800 video card (based on the Radeon X800 gpu)

how do you enable Software OpenGL ? I just want to try this to prove it's my video card giving me issues..

to set software openGL
start SW, dont open any parts, or drawing or anything
go to option, under performance, you should be able to to tick the box for software openGL

i am start to thinking to trade my GeForce 9800 for older version 6600(as least it works), i am sure ppl will be happy to do the deal with me.

aliensquale, in the future I would steer clear of the all-in-wonder cards. They only make for good doorstops.

Spoonful, as for your problem... did you try to update the video card drivers? Get the newest ones at nvidia.com. I use a 8800 GTX with Vista and SW was giving me fits before I updated the drivers.

interesting note, I have the ATI All In Wonder x800 card. I have updated to the latest ATI drivers. When starting solidworks, the software will load, I will see a main solidworks windows, title bar, etc. then I get a popup message saying "Solidworks has encountered an error and needs to close" and all you can do is Hit 'Okay'. If you hit 'Okay' the box goes away and Solidworks closes. If you just drag that popup box out of the way then you can still use Solidworks just fine. The software runs perfect and all models, drawings, etc. work just fine, I can open decently large assemblies, rotate models, cut them apart, etc. and it works all pretty fast. So basically I don't think it's my video card issue, I think there is something else with the computer that is making this happen. When I try Solidworks on other computers I don't get this popup message. I wish the message gave more detail on exactly what was causing the error but it doesn't. So really I have no way of knowing how to fix it.

Aliensquale, are the other computers you have tried this on exactly the same configuration? If they aren't then your troubleshooting isn't going to get you far. As for how to fix your problem, it was stated above, you are choosing to ignore our collective advice.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back