Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks PDMWorks upgrade to PDMStandard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMalinski

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2010
US
We have been using SolidWorks PDMWorkgroups for many years for SolidWorks files only. We are about to upgrade to PDMStandard. We are thinking of taking this opportunity to get all of our Non-Cad related engineering files into the vault.
This would include MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MS Project, Machine Automation programs and datafiles, etc... Generally all files created in a manufacturing / Engineering environment related to each job

We also use AutoCad 2D and Mastercam! I am considering setting up the AutoCad Vault for AutoCad (not Inventor) and the Cimco MDM Vault for Mastercam.

Three Vaults?? Is this an overkill? Any suggestions. One vault for all would be great, but probably not very efficient.

Any thought or suggestions are appreciated

Tom Malinski

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tom,
Aside from performance issues related to database limitations i.e. query times. My vote would be for one vault. Maintaining three vaults will add admin time required. Another benefit is creating relationships between the various file formats might be useful. Also you login to one vault and have access to all the files types. Your main challenges will be to establish procedures and training on how the vault will be utilized and how you setup the various options and rules in the vault.

Cheers,

Samuel

I would also only use 1 vault. We have not yet upgraded to PDM Standard and are still using WorkGroup but I would image it is similar in you can create all sorts of projects and sub projects to organize everything. I also assume it will have the ability to give different users different access.

To try and organize that across 3 vault systems would not be fun. It would also mean you will have some users that will have to know multiple vault systems.

We are using PDM Standard for all native SW models. We use another system called Arena PLM to "vault" all other documents, including neutral file format 3D models to share with vendors.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Thanks for your replies.

MadMango...is there a reason why SolidWorks Standard couldn't do the job of Arena for other documents?

I can see putting 2d AutoCad and Windows documents in the SolidWorks Vault, but MasterCam integrates with Cimco MDM vault where it manages NC files as well as Output Files (gcode) and integrates with CImco DNCMAx for wireless transmission to our CNC machines. I think maybe 2 vaults would work. The Cimco MDM vault can also handle other file types also as does SolidWorks standard, so I will make a decision after we have all three suppliers come in for a discovery meeting. I know they all handle their own native files the best, but which one handles non-native file the best may be the answer I'm looking for.

PDM Standard has no ECR or ECO functionality, no cost, etc. It is just a repository with file versioning and locking capabilities.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Scott, we are having our supplier come in for a PDM standard demo soon. I will find out first hand. My understanding is that it would handle these file types.
Tom

Ok, our
SolidWorks Supplier came in today and we had a great meeting looking over SW PDM standard as a replacement for our PDM Work Groups. Although, our goal is not just to upgrade, but to find a system that will handle all of our Engineering Documents, Laser and Robotic automation, CNC for Medical component machining, AutoCad and SolidWorks, All MS Documents, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project, MasterCam, etc....

Scott, as it turns out PDM standard will handle AutoCad files and all MS Office Files, Machine automation Files, etc... It seems to be pretty robust built on SQL Express. It has auto number filename management and it has very robust search capabilities with its metadata index cards for every file it manages. It has some I.O. limitations for large numbers of users accessing it at the same time, I was told 25 simultaneous check-ins and outs would could show some minor delays. This is an SQL Express limitation, However the chances of this happening are quite remote unless you have that many contributors all checking in at the end of the day at the same time. This is easily managed if so. SQL as you probably know only manages the Metadata which is lightning fast. It uses pointers to the actual file data elsewhere on the server. This is why it's so fast and runs circles around PDM Work Groups for search times. PDM Work Groups uses Windows indexing for its searches, very slow and limited search capability. Also, PDM standard manages Work-Flows and you can set it up any way you want. It is also structured like Windows Explorer with Folders etc... and Drag and Drop. Its biggest limitation (and PDM Pro's limitation) is it cannot auto migrate old data history (versions) from Work Groups. It can be done manually but for a high price due to the manual labor time to do it. The answer for us is to simply install a seat of SolidWorks on our PDM Work Group server. If we ever need old version history we just check it out with the old SolidWorks seat and the its our choice if we want to pop it into the new PDM standard at that time. We were assured there is no compatibility issues with newer licenses. In other words we leave our old PDM Work Groups and the 1 seat of Solidworks at its current version. Then we can upgrade all other seats of SolidWorks and PDM Std every year as we wish. The old PDM and SW seat will always work with the newer network licenses. For us, that's a win. With Standard you can also set up Approvals in your work flow, where PDM will manage the Read Write access based on file approval status.

There is much more I could say, even how it could manage our Mastercam files for us. So far we are very interested in this One Stop Shopping for all of our Engineering files shop wide.
Next we will be looking at Synergis Adept, more money, but does more also.

Tom Malinski

Tom,

You will be able to use your old seat of SW and Workgroup PDM as long as you have a compatible operating system and computer it will install on. You will not be able to keep that system running forever. Something to think about when you setup the archive system, be sure to setup a system that will have a long life going forward.

Anna Wood
SW2015 SP5, Windows 7 x64

Scott, Yes
PDM Standard Client types

There are three client types available:

CAD Editor, allows interaction from within SOLIDWORKS. This includes viewing, adding and modifying files.
Contributor, allows interaction through a Windows Explorer window. This includes viewing, adding and modifying files.
Viewer is similar to the Contributor, but only viewing is allowed.
Additional licenses of the Contributor and Viewer, can be purchased in 5-packs.

Check out this link

Tom

Tom,
That is excellent info.
I wonder how often they'll release a new version that won't migrate old releases in properly.
I think Solidworks got lazy on this one.
Many are just getting comfortable with Workgroup PDM and are using it successfully for revision control. Now we're going to lose all that history when migrating to PDM Standard.

David
Connect with me on LinkedIn. Quote: "If it ain't broke, I must not've fixed it good enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back