Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Process not Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarr

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
US
I've been having trouble with Solidworking quitting on me unexpectedly the last few months. I think I tracked down the problem to multiple Solidworks processes running in the Task Manager.

Recently, we've been working on an API to drive our models. If there is an error, the Solidworks process won't end completely. So when we run the API again and start up Solidworks, it crashes because two Solidworks processes are running.

Can anyone spread some light on this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cant shed light on why SW is not closing properly, but you should be able to adjust your API such that it checks for any running SW processes and, if found, kills them before before it starts its main routine.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

What sort of API? Is it SolidWorks macros, add-in, EXE, VBA in Access/Excel/Word/PowerPoint? Are you doing anything with the UserControl or UserControlBackground properties of the solidworks application object? How are you connecting to the SolidWorks application object?

The API is through our custom software in Visual Studio. It does check if any other processes are running.

I'll have to dig into the code to give you more answers as to how we are connecting to the application. However, has anyone experienced SW closing spontaneously when interacting with Solidworks on a user/manual basis? This is what I'm really trying to tackle right now.

Also, sometimes it takes a REALLY long time for Solidworks to open. I never experienced this until I ran an API on my system. However, it does this when I'm launching Solidworks manually as well.

I have found that in some cases if SolidWorks abnormaly ends that the program is still running in the background. I have to use the task manager to end the process otherwise things get real slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back