Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks property manager editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmoh

Industrial
Mar 1, 2008
AU
Hello all,

I have recently changed roles and have to transition from using Solid edge ST3 to Solidworks 2013. Most things are easily understood but one thing is really trying my patient.

In the SE Assembly environment, you can use the Properties Manager command to view, edit, and manage the physical properties for all the parts in the active assembly. This can be useful because you can view and edit the physical properties for all the parts at once, rather opening each part document to view and edit its physical properties. You can also cut and paste the contents to and from an excel sheet.

I cannot see how this can be done in Solidworks, is it possible to open properties in a table format and quickly add and change multiple part in one place?

Cheers Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you just create a Part template that has all your properties and use the Property tab builder to link them to the custom Properties. Then after or before you make the part add the properties at that time. Then if you need to you can feed that information into a BOM in the assembly. The idea is to not do it afterwards, but to do it as you build the part and assembly files. SW has the ability to use Excel spreadsheets, but I would recommend just using the design table (which is Excel, but requires a little bit different setup then if you imported in an excel spreadsheet. a Design table can contain properties in the part if you want it, but the using the Custom Tab builder will make adding properties a lot easier.

SW is not SE as you know, so just because it doesn't do it the way your used to, doesn't mean SW doesn't have a solution for what your want.

Hope that helps

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks Scott, today I set up a part and assembly template and linked the custom properties with the tab builder, seems to works fine, as you rightly pointed out SW and SE are not the same and it's a matter of testing and trying different methods to find a good workflow
Cheers
Mark

Mark,

You could probably Access this capability thru the use of BOM or Design Tables in SolidWorks.

As of the 2008 release of solidworks, users have had biderectional editing capabilities on Parts & Drawings that huse linked parameters in their title blocks. Prior to this any information in BOM tables on drawings could only be edited in the parts themselves and not from the drawing.

As Scott says above if you have parts with many properties you need to change you can use design tables to drive those all from one spreadsheet and even have them fully determined by and linked to an excel spreadsheet. The key word is Excel solidworks unlike other systems requires Excel software to use/edit par & assembly Design Tables.

One further thing to look up/check out is the Part/Assembly Property Tab buuiulder which is part of the Task Pane/Pain on the right Hand side of the screen where the Explorer Tab, Design Library and View Manager are. Once implemented this allows users to easily enter file information using mmanually typed, linked list and radio button/checkbox forms which sure beats the old file properties dialogs.

I see you've already started the Tab Builder, so you are on your way. I wish you the best luck in implementing your changes to make your transition to SolidWorks a smooth one.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back