Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SolidWorks "forgetting" document templates location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcclure1981

Automotive
Oct 17, 2014
US
Hi,

My company recently upgraded to SW 2014. I have a standalone license, while others in the office pull licenses off a server. After upgrading/reinstalling SW on my system, SW seems to "forget" the locations for my document templates. I find myself having to add the locations back almost daily. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas as to where to begin to fix this? When I open a part/assembly, etc. I get a message that templates cannot be created in the present location.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you may not have complete admin permissions on your machine so that info isn't getting written to the registry. You might want to check that.
If that's not the case, have someone run the copy settings wizard and send you the file. This may or may not work.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

It could be because you don't have admin rights to the registry. Make sure you are full admin to your computer. If so, and you are still unable to save them through SW, then try adding them to the registry manually.

Start\Run

Type regedit and click OK or enter to get to the registry editor.

Browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2014\ExtReferences

Find the keys per the attached image (highlighted) and double click the key and add the path as the value, DO NOT include the file itself, just the folder to where the files are located. Like in the image example.

If it still changes then maybe there is some sort of Group Policy causing that is resetting your registry.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I forgot the add, make sure SW is closed before changing the Reg entries, because if you set them with SW open, then it won't take and SW will overwrite anything you previously set.

Also after you set the Document template and sheet format locations, make sure you set the "default templates" as well. You can do that in SW or the registry, but I would try doing it through SW first.

hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back