Solidworks running in wine for ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

007bondy

Industrial
Aug 23, 2006
A1
This is purely for curiosities sake
Anyone here tried running Solidworks or any other windbloat native 3d modeling software through WINE in what ever flavour of linux?
Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have tried TurboCAD v12 and had no luck. It seems to lock up on bootup of the program. I tried an older version and it worked great. The trick is to run older software that doesn't have much fancy GUI applications. Sometimes you run into problems with the install program.

Bottum line, the older the software the easier it will be.

Ward Holloway, Jr, PE

The lock up in the boot process, from my experiance is from your graphics card or driver not working correctly.

I have found this on my laptop, I have good graphics for native linux programs but for some reason or another the driver linux provides for my intel chip does not work well with graphics intence 3D programs in WINE.

I have tried PRO-E WildFire and Catia V, I am no major programer and dont have the time to make everything work nicely, I have read about succsuess with both of these programs. I just have two laptops so I can use Catia V in windows, and do everything else in Ubuntu 7.10. I do have FreeCAD in my linux but its not as user freindly so I dont use it.

Actually that is not true for Solidworks as SW only starts the OpenGL driver as you open a (new) part, assembly or drawing. So if SW starts, but crashes on opening a part your graphics driver may be to blame.

That being said, I've never tried to run any CAD program in WINE, possibly, SW might work if you get Office 2000+ to work...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back