Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Simulation Recommended Texts/Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan240

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2004
US
Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer and an FEA beginner. I consider myself to be familiar with Solidworks but not Simulation nor FEA in general. Although I have a B.S. degree the coursework on FEA was not much more than "press these buttons, make pretty graphs, there's your answer".

I think its important to have a decent textbook on FEA and since Simulation is used a great deal it seems reasonable that the text would work with that software. I have gone through most, if not all, the information and tutorials in the help window in Simulation but I'd like more.

One area in particular that I would like to gain more experience in is determining the validity of an analysis. Everything that is done I simplify and then back up with hand calculations but I know that Simulation must have its own checks. I'd like to learn more about what those checks are and additionally what I should be looking for and checking myself in the analysis. I've learned a few things but I'd imagine there is much more out there.

Any texts that you find helpful or recommend would be greatly appreciated.

best,
Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to look at SolidProfessor or I Get It. Both provide video based training. I don't know of any books strictly for Simulation (a shortcoming, IMO), but you might check out NAFEMS. I'm told they have tons of books that will help you get good results.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Building Better Products with Finite Element Analysis, Adams, Vince and Askenazi, Abraham, Onward Press, NM, 1999.
ISBN 1-56690-160X

Out of print, but possibly available through Amazon or another seller of books.

Vince Adams worked for SW for a while after writing the book and Abraham Askenazi worked for Buell motorcycle. Vince is also a go to guy for knowledge about the older Cosmo/M product. The book covers more than just Cosmos though.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back