Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SolidWorks to CADKey migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NL8

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2007
US
I have a vendor working with us on quoting a large number of complicated components for us. We use SolidWorks 2009. They use CADKey (version unknown). I don't know anything about CADKey. What is the native format for the software and what format would you recommend for the file transfer to make things easy for them?

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 09 x64, SP 4.1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way is to ask the vendor what version they use and what format they would prefer. The latest version of KeyCreator can read SolidWorks 2008 SLDPRT files, Parasolid XT up to version 20, STEP, SAT, and IGES. It can also read Solidworks SLDASM files so they say, but I’ve never been able to make it work.

Here’s a video on some of KeyCreator’s latest features:

Thanks Moldcore, I'll ask, right now they want PDF's that they are going to import, but I just can't see that as being the easy way.

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 09 x64, SP 4.1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Import PDFs? Your right, that’s not a solution unless it’s a simple 2D part. Why does he even have a CAD program? You can’t import PDFs into any CAD program that I know and use the data for anything. Send him an IGES file also, that will work in any version of Cadkey/KeyCreator.

I believe that ACIS (*.sat) is the Modeling Kernel used by CADKEY so that may work the best but you can try several types and see what works best for them.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back