Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks training

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHG1981

Automotive
Aug 7, 2013
US
Has anyone used Moderntech in Nashville or Memphis for SolidWorks training? I’ve primarily always been a NX designer but I have to learn SolidWorks very soon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've always felt that VAR training was overpriced and had too much info crammed into too few days. With VAR training, they plow through everything in 4 days (for the beginner session), and your head is spinning come Thursday morning. I've experienced it as a student and as an instructor.
Online video training gives you more bang for your buck, IMO. igetit.com or SolidProfessor.com are two I've used in the past, but I know that there are others. The nice thing about online training is that you can keep repeating the same lesson until you've got it down. Maybe this would be an option for you?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

I agree with Jeff's point about the overload from four consecutive days of training. At one company I worked for we could not afford the time to send our engineers across town for four consecutive days anyway so we negotiated with the VAR to do the training one day a week for four weeks. This actually worked out well for him and great for us. We had time between classes to reinforce what we had learned as well as get into the appropriate SWX tutorials in prep for the next lessons. As a result we got much more out of the class than previous groups. The VAR said he would actually suggest that to his customers as it was in his best interest to quickly get them up to speed.

The built-in SWX tutorials are terrific. I highly suggest before taking any other training you thoroughly go through those then asses your needs and options.

- - -Updraft

I have been using the solid professor site for the last month and find it to be very good. I think the VAR courses would be better at teaching the process from start to finish of a typical design, but if you are just looking to learn how to complete certain tasks the online options are cost effective and far more convenient.

Yes I agree, VAR training is overpriced. I had VAR training paid for by my previous employer, I thought it was done well and not to much info to fast, but again way over priced. If I was paying out of pocket I would consider SolidProfessor. Also as mentioned the built in tutorials are really good. If you have an understanding of modeling then all you need to learn is what commands do what and where they are. A good book can accomplish that, such as the Solidworks Bible.

Certified SolidWorks Associate
SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
Win 7 Pro X64

In fact, I recommend VAR training, however use SolidProfessor, and youtube videos before VAR training. You'll know what problems you have, and therefore your instructors will have a better clue, how to help you. (you actually should be able to accomplish quite a bit with just the youtube videos and online help.)

SW Professional 2014 SP 4.0 SW Electrical 2D/3D SP 3.0
64 bit SP1.0
Intel Xeon X(R) CPU 1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz
8.0 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back