Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solidworks Unable To Obtain Required Memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGroup

Mechanical
May 22, 2007
US
When this error comes up, it asks you to either free up some memory and retry, or cancel SW.

If I shut all other programs down and wait it out, will SW ever recover? I have never had any success doing that.

Or, once it gets to this point is it already beyond hope?

Usually I just hit cancel, re-start SW, and recreate the last few minutes. But I would like to know if anyone has any tips for getting SW to recover.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes just minimizing and restoring SW will free up RAM ... leastways that's what the Task Manager shows. I just did that and the Mem Usage went from 395MB to 33MB. However, I wasn't at the "Unable To Obtain Required Memory" stage when I did that.

Prevention is better than a cure. Try using a memory monitor utility like
Obviously the long term solution is to upgrade to an x64 system with more RAM.

When does this error come up? Does it happen when you're using the Hole Wizard function?

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell T5500 XP Pro SP 3 (32-bit)
Xeon CPU 2.53 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

I only get the error message when I am working with our largest assemblies, or when I do something stupid.

Or, if SW has a lot stored in its temp memory from opening/closing a lot of assemblies during the day. For this, SW Rx does help free up some RAM (for the next time).

When it crashes, I will usually run SW Rx to clean everything out, but at this point it is too late to recover.

I agree that the best solution is more memory. But this happens rarely, so it isn't worth it yet.

Are you on a 32 bit system?

Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB

Yes, still on 32bit
Widows XP
SW 2010 sp4.0
3GB Ram

I could use more RAM, but so far it is not a big problem.
Regardless of how much RAM you have, it is still possible to max it out.

So, if I get to that error message, will SW ever recover?

Thanks

Don't think so.

SW 32-bit & large assy's don't cut it. You need to go to a 64-bit plateform.

Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB

Depends on your definition of large assemblies.

Our 'large' assemblies consit of ~200 parts (with about 100 of those being fasteners) and only about 20 being complex, memory intensive parts.

So compared to other SW users, our assemblies are probably considered small. My current computer has few problems with what we are designing.

To increase to more than the 3GB, I would also have to upgrade a bunch of other things as well.

MDGROUP,

I concur with the going to 64 bit advise. 32 bit will utilize a maximum of 2 gigs of ram for Solidworks. Meaning that if you have 3 megs of ram on a 32 bit system you might as well only have 2 with respect to Solidworks. We were having a similar issue with workstations that had 4 gigs of ram but were running on 32 bits.

Upgrading to 64 bits fixed our memory problem.

Good Luck,

sam

I wish the other users did it here. It drives me nuts because they always have problems. I ask them when was the last time they rebooted there computer, and they say......ahh......2 weeks ago?

Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back