Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

solidworks very slow (not assembly!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSB1

Aerospace
Sep 23, 2013
BE
My solidworks suddenly became very slow, even if I am starting a new part, or clicking anything, for example "Front Plane",

it makes my power usage to instantly spike to "very high" (image attachment)

I have restarted the computer, I have enough space in the disk, and I don't see what could be the reason.
I also did Tools > Options > Reset All Options, without success

Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can reset the registry of your SW and see if that fixes it.

Here is my registry\path and how I have done it in the past to test out issues
Registry_fjl1ve.jpg

Run through some of these options:
faq559-1094 - Some might be outdated, but most are still true.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

It would be interesting if a fan has failed, so the CPU or GPU has clocked back and it is reporting running as fast as it can.

I recently had a drastic performance hit due to the software my company uses to auto-backup my hard drive. It would only be using ~20% and then spike up to 75% as soon as I started a simulation. Something about it didn't play nice. Have you installed any new programs recently? Are you sure it is solidworks that is using all the processing power?

I also confirmed with the IT colleagues, and there were no updates.

Indeed it is only solidworks with this problem

Only Solidworks is using the 3D computations on the graphics card, presuming there is one.

Since no software changes happened it has to be hardware. Or you downloaded a virus without realizing it and that virus is to mine bitcoin on the graphics card.

Try testing the Software open GL option. Turn it on in System options\performance without any files open and see if it's better or not. If it is better then it's something with the driver of your VC card.

Which by the way what are your PC specs?

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back