Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks view orientations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

barthautala

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2007
US
Im trying to transition from Inventor 10 to Solidworks 07. In inventor if I inadverdently drew something sideways I could rotate my view 90 degrees and have it snap to the work plane.......

Can I do this in solidworks? I have a plate that is 20 by 10 and the 20 length is oriented horizontally and I want it to be vertically oriented. The standard view choices continue to rotate to the top of my screen, I dont want that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if I completely understand the question, but if you right click on your sketch in the feature tree and click on edit sketch plane, you can orient your base sketch to a different plane.

Solidworks 2007 SP3.0
2GB Ram/3GB Switch
Quadro FX1300
P4 3.40GHz Duo XP Pro SP2.0

Select the view and then the rotation icon (it looks like a hurricane. A dialog will appear and then type in your desired angle and hit ok

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB

barthautala,
Look in the SolidWorks online help under Orientation.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

barthautala ... are you referring to the 3D model sketches or the 2D drawing views?

If it's the drawing, selecting the view should open the View Manager where you should be able to select an alternative view to show.

If it's the model, the orientation can be changed (eg, Front can be changed to Right). Check the Help files Index section for orientation, view.

[cheers]

Hit spacebar. The view orientation window will pop-up. Orient your part such that the front view (the way you want it to be) is showing. Single click on the word front in the view orientation window. Hit the update standard views button in the upper corner of the view orientation window.

You have now changed your view orientation.

-Shaggy

The view question seems to not apply if I understand it correctly. There's tons of ways to correct user mistakes in SolidWorks. Plus, the question is so indescript, it's not even possible to know what the subject is. For example "The standard view choices continue to rotate to the top of my screen" doesn't have enough information to make the statement clear. If one selects from the variety of standard view choices in a model, they certaining do not all react the same way "to the top of my screen". Also, what does "top of my screen" mean? This isn't good wording to describe a model or a drawing. Everything is relative.

I don't mean to be overly critical of the posting. It may be that barthautala is still thinking in the terms of Inventor (although the question sounds like a reference to ACAD). I ask that barthautala reply soon to let us know what they are talking about with more detail.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
sw.fcsuper.com
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back