Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solprof

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdike

Industrial
Jan 9, 2002
US
I use solprof while in floating model space to creste pv- and pf- layers of the 3d solid that are then dimensionable in paper space. Everything's fine except when I go back to tiled model space all the new pf- and pv- layers are all over the place making work on (or just viewing) the original solid impossible. Is this some layer control problem I don't understand?
Also, using this technique, is there some way that while dimensioning in paper space I don't have to keep track of all the scales for my viewports and manually adjust the unit scale? thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Replace use of solprof with SOLVIEW & SOLDRAW. Reduces by orders of magnitudes, the number of overlapping/duplicated lines in modelspace. Remaining lines are just the ones needed, and are easily controlled thru typical layering techniques.
Hint: try creating a working "model" viewport using solview as above, but not "Soldraw"ing that new view-
1. No layering issues from other viewports. Layers in viewports are independantly controllable!!!
2. direct access to your model
3. You DON'T HAVE TO RETURN TO MODEL SPACE EVER AGAIN, unless you want to for some really good reason!
4. you can position the model viewport and the soldraw viewports in such a manner that they can all be seen at once (depending on zoom) and you can re-soldraw any viewport necessary to view updates you're making to your model.
5. Updates to those soldraw viewports can take advantage of hidden-lines to see some hidden results that hide doesn't reveal. Very useful.
Good Luck!
C.F.

someone else told me to try soldraw- I geuss I was waiting for one more person to push me over the edge. Do I still have to keep track of the individual scales in the viewports?

thanks, Bruce

Not necessarily.
1. If you want to, Look into MVSETUP, covered by the way in this month's CADENCE (just your luck!)
2. Otherwise, go into a created viewport in your "layout" sheet ("paperspace"). ZOOM with a known factor relative to the paperspace sheet (which we take to be 1:1 for plotting...,) like:
"ZOOM;1/2XP" or like "ZOOM;1/48XP"
where 1/2xp gives a true zoom of 1/2 x relative to 1:1. That's 1/2 scale, isn't it! or 1/48, which is like 1/4"=1' (4x12=48: 4 is 1/4 inch, 12 is 1 foot: 4x12 is like 1/4"=1'! Try it. it always works- 1/2"=1':2x12=24S.F.!)
Ok, so if the 1/2xp zoom inside the ps viewport didn't get you to the size you want, keep "ZOOMing" standard factorsXP 'til you hit one you like. Eventually the trial-and-error will be replaced by knowledge/experience, but for now, this should work. Then-
3. Go to dimensioning scales and set your dimensioning scale factors (yes dimscale,etc, but there are better ways to get there...)to "factors relative to paperspace"-"yes". Check with your manual or another with experience for this. *** I don't do this. *** For my needs, I find that dimensioning using associative dimensioning (Hint- make sure ANY approach you use fosters the use of ASSOCIATIVE DIMENSIONING. This isn't even worth debating.) on the paperspace sheet with my scales set meets my needs perfectly.
All of this works no matter what's in the viewport (2D model geometry, 3D model geometry or 2D soldraw visible and hidden lines).
*Either way, P-Space viewports with Soldraw is really the only right answer! Good Luck and let us know how it went!
C.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back