Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solution for conveying starch to a height of 6m

Status
Not open for further replies.

yashvjain

Mechanical
May 31, 2008
IN
The loading points of a roaster and cooling vessels used in making pasting gum are at heights of about 6 m and 4m respectively. Both are to be fed with 1 ton starch for every batch. The starch is available in packing of 90kg bags. Starch will be roasted for about 3 hours in the roaster before discharging it into the cooling vessel.

Two options are being considered for feeding the roaster and cooling vessel - the first is to use screw conveyors inclined at an angle of about 30 degrees, with their feeding spouts at the floor level for easy emptying of bags. The other is to use an existing 3 ton electrical chain-pulley block to lift the bags to a platform surrounding the roaster near its top and another surrounding the cooling vessel near its top and then emptying the bags directly into the roaster. The platforms are large enough to store enough no. of bags for three days production.

Considering that using the chain-pulley block will save the capital cost of the screw conveyors,reduction in the time required for feeding the roaster and freeing up of the space that would have been taken up by the conveyors and potential problems in conveying starch under moist conditions in rainy season, I'm inclined more towards the chain-pulley block option. Is this option better? Is there any other better and more cost-effective solution for this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would look at the screw conveyor with a coated auger and sides. I beleive that anytime you have to lift something "overhead" there are always chances for accidents. Of minimal value, but wouldn't the heat and humidity be higher at the "top" of the hopper. Storing 3 days supply on the platform may cause unwanted effects.

Ray

Every once in a while the voices in my head have good ideas.

I believe you should look at an alternative way to handle your starch. You are loading 100, 90kg bags of starch per load which seem like a very strenuous task. You should see if your starch supplier can deliver by truckload. If they can, you could use bulk storage bins and have them filled pneumatically. Then you could use a pneumatic conveying system to feed your roasters. This may also give you the ability to regulate the conditions of the starch during the moist seasons.

Take a look at this site here. It may give you some ideas.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back