Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solution for small pressure for X seconds then high pressure for X seconds operate bistable cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice24

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2023
IL
As title said, need to control a pneumatic cylinder... once with low pressure till it reaches stroke X, then with high pressure to finish the stroke.

I suppose I can use two 5/2 valves, probably the easiest solution, but it still seems a little clumsy

How would you go about it? Is there a simpler solution I'm not seeing?

I also thought about using an an electronically controlled pressure regulator but those are ridiculously expensive ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the cylinder working against that requires a step change in pressure?
Generally a feedback loop can be made by monitoring the state of the machine being controlled.
In other words, if position X is always a certain distance, a trigger of some sort can be initiated when its position reaches X. Is X position reached in a certain time. If so initiate a timer to trigger the high pressure. Therefore it is more helpful to know what you are attempting to control rather than how to initiate a certain control for what remains to us unknown reasons.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back