Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solution Monitor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jste88

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2011
US
could someone help me with an issue I am having in the solution monitor during an attempt at a solution? I am relatively new to Nastran and am just trying to figure out how to work different solvers. I am trying an advanced nonlinear solution in ADVNL 601,106 and once I start my solution, about 20 seconds in the following message pops up:

*** USER INFORMATION MESSAGE 7362 (DOIT)
THE COMPLETE ISHELL COMMAND IS: "C:\Program files\UGS\NX 7.5\nxnastran\bin\nxna.bat" 0 3 0 0 0 0 4000 1 1 0 -1.......

Nothing happens after that until about 5 to 10 minutes later and the Solution Monitor says the job is finished and in the job information file there is a fatal error which tells me "Memory allocation of 32000000 words is not sufficient.

Any help would be great!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems like you are not allocating enough memory...
Are you using memory=estimate or fixed memory allocation, memory=1Gb?

Just try to use the maximum possible for your machine, for MSC.Nastran 2007 on Windows XP I use memory=7.9Gb but if this is the same for NX.Nastran I don't know.

Hey Thank you for the post. I am now using fixed memory allocation and have switched my application over to where I am now just using NLstatic106 but I am now getting the following error:

*** USER INFORMATION MESSAGE 6447 (SITDR2)
ITERATIVE SOLVER DIAGNOSTIC OUTPUT
EPS : 1.0000000E-06
BIC PRECONDITIONING
M/SHELL Query Message
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Reference | Branch | Subprogram | Start Date: 00.00.**/00:00:00 |
| Level | Number | Name | Elapsed Time: 0.00 sec |
|------------------------------------| Processor Time: 132.63 sec |
| 000 | PROGRAM | SBSRD | Total Memory: 30192689 wds |
| 001 | 010 | SB87RD | Left Stack : 23358712 wds |
| 002 | 001 | SB85RD | Right Stack : 4312565 wds |
| | | | Used Space : 107893869 wds |
| | | | Free Space : -77701180 wds |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Information: Error LWMAX: LWMAX= 353918, MEM(LSTRA+20)= 264981 |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0FATAL ERROR

Hi jste88,

Did you find out how to allocate more than 32000000 words memory for Solution 601,106?

I gave mem=20gb for solving, got the same "Memory allocation" error and I don't understand where these 32000000 words = 244 MB come from (64-bit-server)...

Thanks,

Simon

Zigmhount,

I just had to simplify my model to around 200000 nodes in order to run it smoothly on my machine. In editing the solver parameters, I normally set the Solution Monitor memory to 2500 to 3000 MB because I have a 6 GB machine and that setting normally helps in not bogging down the other programs running on my machine. Do you really have 20 GB to use on your system? If so, I don't see why your solution shouldn't work.

I don't see either, but thanks for your answer!
I actually have 32 GB RAM, but allocate up to 27 GB for Nastran to make sure one can use some other software at the same time...

I already got this error in the past, which was solved with Nastran 7.1 (instead of Nastran 6.1). But this time I don't get it, even with Nastran 7.1...

I guess I'll have to simplify my model and use submodellig technique (I've found how to use this in Femap with Nastran 3 days ago).

Regards,
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back