Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solution to move a load between hangars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustavo Silvano

Industrial
Aug 12, 2016
BR
Hello there!

Here where I work we have 5 hangars near each other, and each hangar have a crane to move load from one place to another. But the crane can only move the load inside the hangar, and can't move it to one hangar to another.

I'm thinking on a cheap and efficient solution for this, and here they are:

1ª) A transfer car that roll on rails, and it cross all 5 hangars. But the problem with this solution is that it's very expensive and with the trail nothing can cross on a perpendicular way. Also, the electrical feeding the motor is another problem.

2ª) A rolling table on some specific points. The problem with it is that we have to buy a rolling table for every cross of hangar, and the operator will need to move from one rolling table to another, in order to move the load across the hangars.

3ª) An electric hoist, that can be installed at the pillar between the hangars. The problem is that the load is 12 meters of lenght, and when the hoist do it angular movment, the load will interfer on something that is inside the hangar.

Besides these solutions, is there another one that is more cheap and efficient. I think that you already saw yourself with this problem.

Thank you!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4a642c66-75de-4de4-b77d-20424f287b46&file=Load_between_hangars.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on how often you need to move things between hangers a basic flatbed trailer towed by a forklift or a truck could work well. Trailer could be pretty cheap and there is no installation cost

Using a flatbed trailer is our currently solution. But with that we have a monthly cost that we want to reduce.
I'm thinking on something that is easy to operate, something that don't need an special training, like driving a forklift or truck.

Buy the trailer instead of renting.

... If you don't train your forklift drivers or truck drivers, you risk other costs. Talk to you insurance company.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back