Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some Datum Planes Don't turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maike13

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2007
I have a part where a couple of the datum planes don't turn off when I click the plane display button off (Wildfire 4). I think the person who created the part may have set it up to do this on purpose, but I can't find any setting that let's me control this. Not a big deal, as I can hide the planes, but I was curious if there is a setting somewhere that controls this, or if it's just a bug.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that if the person who made the part created actual datums (A, B, C, etc) then they won't turn off when you turn off the datum planes in the tool bar. I just hide them myself when this happens.

Thanks Assocracer. Turns out that's exactly the case. I'm fairly new at this and have only ever used regular datum planes. However thanks to your reply I discovered I can go to the properties for the datum plane and change the type. The ones that wouldn't turn off were indeed -A- and changing them back to just plain A allows them to turn off although I do get a warning that the datums are referenced by gtol so I should probably just continue hiding them. I guess I need to read up on the different types of datum plane and how they are used for geometric tolerance :)

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Mike

You should leave them declared (GTOL) datums although you may have already messed up the geometric tolerances that referenced them. The best way to deal with these is to set up Pro/E to automatically create a layer and put them on it. Then you can turn them on & off together as needed.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Thanks dgallup. I'll do that. Fortunately I didn't save the part when I was experimenting with the datums so the tolerances are still working OK.

Dan,
Good description of why the hide planes icon is not working on the [A] [C] datums.

Mike,
You may want to look at my response to the following post from Aug 2011.
thread554-304406

In my post I show how to setup layer rules so you can hide those GD&T Datums using Layers as DGallup descried above. This should be easier to achieve then manually selecting and hiding them from the Model Tree or display area.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back