Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

some tips needed for water main extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

hushamad

Civil/Environmental
Sep 10, 2020
US
I need to design and layout an extension for water main in Illinois, this Extension would serve a collage apartments that consists of 30 apts and a clubhouse. along with designing the water main, a fire hydrant needs to be designed too. I know this forum is for engineers, and I am going to be in a matter of months, I am simply asking for tips on how to design this water main, for example, where the extension of the water main should start? how long the water main should be? where can I find the specification and standards for designing a water main? how to calculate the peak flow demand, and daily average peak flow? I just simply needs guidance on how to figure out those questions, I have been searching about them for quite some time, and I found bunch of info, but I don't really know where to start. I will provide the site where this water main extension should serve.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c2676102-a948-402a-a5ae-ac56972ba2e7&file=Site_Topo_Senior_Design_Project_CE495A_(with_aerial).pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a broad question without specific information been provided - existing line that to be tapped in. As the start, I suggest to perform research on Illinois, and local, building codes regarding regulations and design of service water for apartment, or condominium. Here is not a good start point, unless you ran into specific technical questions with sufficient background information.

Don't feel frustrate by rules. Keep in mind that, no matter your status, questions need to be pointed to areas/topics that people can digest quickly and respond within a few sentences, or paragraphs. Also, the practicing engineers can easily detect your experience level from the questions asked. This forum is a good place to exchange/gain/offer ideas, but not for learning from the scratch. Comeback later with more focused questions, this forum wouldn't disappoint you.

would you guide me on what do I need to have to calculate the peak flow of the water main? what material needs to be used to for the water main? what are the dimensions for the water main? someone answered me all these question but before I got the chance to fully get the idea, my post was removed

hushamad

Your file has "senior design project." in the title. I posted the rules rather than just flag your post. If this is a school project, it would probably best to get BASIC direction from the teachers.

Also, if you are one in pursuit of a professional career, you may find it helpful not to succumb to vulgar insults when you don't like what you hear.

If you're a student you need to ask these questions to your tutor or read your notes better.

There is our was a plumbing Forum here and many such similar questions have been asked. Do some sensible searching.

But please edit or delete your post where you insult other posters. It's nor allowed here.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back