Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Someone knows Steam Out operation details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansito

Industrial
Jun 21, 2008
ES
Please,

Could anybody describe me how is the SteamOut operation normally done in refineries?

I'm asking under a Piping Stress point of view.

It is easy to run a calculation with the steam out condition, the main problem occurs regarding to existing systems, that may be too conservative. I was wondering if the procedure itself implies in any line boundary changes like for example:

¿Do the Steam out personnel normally release the nozzle attached previously ?
¿It is normal practice to have specific steam inlet and outlet included on the line for that purpose?
¿How they protect pumps from being heated ?

I would appreciate if someone experienced in this subject could comment something more about it.

Regards,
Hansito

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm asking under a Piping Stress point of view.
Normally there is little or no stress concern during Steam out. Most lines in a refinery run hotter than the steam used for steam-out.

¿Do the Steam out personnel normally release the nozzle attached previously ?
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

¿It is normal practice to have specific steam inlet and outlet included on the line for that purpose?
No!

¿How they protect pumps from being heated ?
You don't! Sometimes it is necessary to steam out the pump if you need to work on it too. Remember depending on the service, the pump was just running at maybe 400 degrees F to 800 degrees F and the steam out temp is only about 250 degrees F

Thanks Pennpiper,

My concern is just for the lines with design temperature below the SteamOut temperature, say lines with Design Temperature = 80 C for example, being "steamed" at 160 C. We may even have some cases of lines with design temperature nearly ambient being "steamed".
Under my opinion if a line is supposed to be "steamed" the design temperature should be at least the Steam Temperature, unfortunately the Process Line list do not reflect that.

I appreciated your answer very much.

Regards,
Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back