Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sonic core drilling - geotechnical application

Status
Not open for further replies.

earth321

Geotechnical
Aug 26, 2004
US
I want to find out if anyone has used sonic core drilling for soil sampling for geotechnical purposes. I know its used a lot for environmental work but I am interested in its usefulness for geotechnical subsurface characterization. Conventional drilling and sampling will be done (this is s tunnelling project in soils). Can sonic drilling provide good startification that might be useful? Is that the only use of this technique for geotechnical purposes?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

earth321,

I was involved with a project that used a sonic rig. We used the rig because we could get a continuous sample and because in the hard till we were going through, it would not have been possible to use hollow-stem augers (we were setting groundwater monitoring wells), i.e., it was faster. Like waaaaaay faster. It was also expensive, but worth it due to the time savings.

The logistics were a little more complicated as the sonic trucks were heavier than conventional rotary rig trucks, but being able to plow through 50-odd feet of some very hard till and set casing was well worth it.

Jeff

Jeffrey T. Donville, PE
TTL Associates, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back