Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sonic flow in nozzle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

siriusengineer

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2002
US
Hi,

I am a new engineer working on a derivation for maximum flow of a gas in a nozzle.

API RP 520, Pt. I, Para. 4.3.2.1 gives the equation for max flow to be

W=C*A*P*sqrt(T/M)

I've left out the correction factors for back pressure, non-ideal flow, and compressibility of a non-ideal gas.
Now I've been able to start with a tank of initial pressure and temperature, Po and To, and get to the following equation on my own.

W=Po*A*[(M/Ru/To)(k(2/(k+1))^((k+1)/(k-1))]^1/2

M being molecular weight, and Ru the universal gas constant.
Now the term C in the first equation is given as

C=520*[(k(2/(k+1))^((k+1)/(k-1))]^1/2

which makes the first equation almost match up with mine except for the 520 term, and the universal gas constant in my equation.

My question is this. Where did this C term come from and what are its units?

After putting in 1545.35 ft*lbf/lbmol/R for Ru and converting all the units to make sure W came out in lbm/s my term for C instead of being 520 would be 0.1443

A big thank you for any help on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fastest flow velocity you can have in a converging nozzle is sonic (Mach 1). Once the flow becomes sonic, the mass flow rate scales linearly with pressure, according to Fliegner's formula (which is only good for Mach 1 flow). If you can't find Fliegner's formula in your fluids references, let me know, and I'll type it out.

If you have a converging-diverging nozzle, flow will become supersonic under sufficient stagnation pressure and the Mach number can be calculated according to the area ratio of the nozzle. Flow will still be sonic at the throat, however, and therefore mass flowrate can still be calculated using Fliegner's formula (using properties at the throat).

Haf

Argh! Of course. I was doing lbm/s instead of the lbm/hr I should have been converting to. I think that I'd been staring at it too long, and I fried my brain.

Thanks a bunch for getting me back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back