Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sonic Orifice Beta and t/D ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawsan311

Chemical
Jun 21, 2019
AE
Dear All,

I came across the requirement of having sufficiently thick orifice for chokes flow to occur due to the reaction forces acting on the nozzle induced by high differential pressure as well as to prevent plate bending. The literature by Ward Smith states that a maximum achievable coefficient of discharge of 0.84 with a minimum t/d ratio of 0.5.

I would like then to understand if there is a relation between the t/orifice diameter ratio and the beta ratio (orifice bore diameter to pipe diameter). I guess these are two independent factors where:

- beta ratio affects the value of Cd specifically for the sub critical case, generally larger beta ratio contributes in larger low at the expense of low differential pressure.
- t/d ratio for sharp square edge orifice directly affects the value of max Cd where an optimum range of t/d between 1 and 6 at which Cd is maximum 0.84 but for cylindrical sharp edge

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back