Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sorting conveyor project

Status
Not open for further replies.

2b2

Industrial
Jan 19, 2002
US
I am trying to sort 10 different products in a roller conveyor, I will be using a scanner to read the barcodes of the boxes. I will install a PLC to acquire the barcode numbers as they enter the conveyor. I will have a Photo eye in each sorting lane. and a diverter will move the boxes in the corresponding lane.
The question is which will be the most efficient way to approach the program in the PLC. (I just need a starting point)

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2b2,

Your question needs more definition. Before you even look at the question of how should you tackle this problem in the PLC code, you need to ask some fundamental questions about how the materials are being moved and presented to the diverter lanes? If the boxes are coming in nice neat single file rows, with the bar code in a regular position, then diverter lanes are a great way to go. If the boxes are coming in multiple orientations and in a non-uniform flow, you might want to look at a palletizing robot. The physics of the problem might lead you to a diferent control solution, by way of how you "skin the cat".

Regards,

Rich......[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back