Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Barrier Acrylic Deflection Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristrium

Structural
Sep 26, 2010
AU
I have been provided a design for acrylic panels for a sound barrier by the manufacturer. They have designed to a deflection limit of span/20 or 75mm which they have claimed is standard practise in the USA but can't produce any reference documents. In Australia AS5100.2 cl25.3.8 stipulates span/60.

Does anyone have any reference documents that would support a deflection limit of 75mm or span/20? The panel size is 2.5m x 1.5m.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Span/20 seems like it would start to tug on the fasteners or pull out of whatever is holding it in place. I'm sure the panel itself is fine for that deflection.

Thanks. I agree that it seems large. However I have found the specification below from DOT New York which references 3 inches. I cant find it in any standards however.

The maximum elastic deflection of the transparent acrylic noise barrier panel, under the design
wind load shall be less than 3 in (76 mm). When a load factor of 1.5 is applied to the design wind
load:
 The panel shall not show any symptoms of failure such as buckling or cracks.
 The sheet shall not become detached from its supports or fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back