sound from one toilet to another via duct 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aungkyawtun

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2008
SG
Dear Gents,
I am very glad to get your interest for my question.Now the owner of my marine project asking for the sound disipiation from one toilet to another from the exhaust duct.From my point of view,there is a suction pressure in the duct and the sound from one toilet to another is to be ignored.Hoping your kind suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure that I understand your issue, so I'll restate my understanding and my answer. I incorrect, please correct me.

You have two separate toilets (restrooms, bathrooms, etc.), each with an exhaust fan blowing through a common duct. Sound may be heard between the separate rooms through the duct. The owner does not like the condition.

If my understanding is correct, the owner has a point. The exhaust fans should be separately ducted to the exterior.

Greg, are you suggesting that increased fan speed will suck the sound out better or merely that an increased fan speed will mask more of the *ahem* unwanted noises?

M

--
Dr Michael F Platten

sound travels around 1100 fps/750 mph in air.
HVAC Duct velocity is designed for less than 1000 fpm/~ 11 mph.
I visualize a 200 HP 14 foot speed boat in a lazy section of the Mississippi river.

I think sound travels up or down stream easily at any foreseeable duct velocity.

An old thread but if you've not yet solved then use an absorbtive cross talk silencer.

We use them for this application all the time. Just cut it into the duct run at the wall penetration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back