Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound proof enclosure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrp12345

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2003
IN
For an experiment that I am trying to setup, I have to fabricate a small sound proof enclosure. I thought that an enclosure using just sheets of Polystyrene foam would perform admirably. Unfortunately it is not so. Should I be using an additional barrier of sponge or some such sound absorbing material? Can someone help?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see your line of thinking. Many foams (especially 'open cell' type) have acoustical aborptive properties. Unfortunately, mechanism of acoustic transmission through a partition is a different mechanism. The overwhelmingly dominating parameter affecting the ability of a partition to block sound (at lower frequencies at least) is its mass. A heavy brick wall is a better blocker of sound than a sheet of paper.

At higher frequencies, the stiffness of the material may start to have an effect, but this is secondary.

The absorptive properties of the material have very little to do with it (except in the sense that lining the interior of the enclosure with foam would reduce the overall sound level inside the box, thus reducing the level of sound energy which could be transmitted to the outside).

Another critical point is that the enclosure must be air tight. A double glazed window is good blocker of sound, but only when it is closed!

Here's an idea for a small 'sound proof' enclosure. Line an small domestic refridgerator (one of those small beer coolers should do, although maybe not one with a glass window) with open cell foam / glass fibre mats. This should provide a nice air-tight seal, as well as degree of sound proofing. You could then construct a masonry box around it. For access, leave one side open and cover the hole by bolting several (maybe 5?) layers of 15mm gypsum board. Shouldn't cost more than 300 dollars or euros. You may find that the fridge on it's own is enough for you. Or you could place the small fridge inside a larger one (chest feezer?). If all this is too small for you, there are plenty of companies which sell larger acoustic enclosures; The kind of thing you might find on a manufacturing floor with a machine operator inside.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

M

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your response.
I am afraid I cannot consider a masonary wall as the enclosure has to be movable. However, the ice box concept
is great. Going by the advice you have given, I plan to make an outer box with a couple of layers of GYP board in the cavity. I will however try and make the inner box as air tight as possible.
Any Comments?
Thanks

Make sure you seal the joints of the outer box with mastic. Have some sort of gasket (eg draft excluding tape) around any access opening you may have to make in the outer box.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back