Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Source for EN requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkyonline

Electrical
Mar 7, 2003
US
We manufacture laboratory equipment and have previously attached CE mark for European clients. Although the only harmonized requirement for wire colors is currently green w/yellow stripe for ground, we are attempting to anticipate future harmonizations of unilateral color requirements, and providing a growing client base with recognized color schemes utilized in the CE community.

I have found a statement that, in lieus of harmonization for specifics, national standards utilized in Germany would be accepted as norm.

Please provide an online source for download of applicable EN requirements and/or outline of wire colors required in this community.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EN's are not free. I don't believe you will find any for free, if you do they are not operating legally. You might try global engineering documents. Generally, these reference IEC documents.
I have not dealt with CE in some time, but I know they will publish the proposed changes for free in some journal (cant remember name) before making them mandatory. This is the only way I know to get them for free, while they are still being discussed. When I get home, I will try to remember to post some links to some great info. Good luck.

Thanks guys....

Tracked down Global Engineering and couple other sources...found what I wanted..

One site actually gave me the option to download in PDF...no shipping....cheaper....

Had to dig a couple levels deep. but found exactly what I needed.

The low voltage directive says just that you have to follow the standards.

Wire colours are only one minor aspect of the whole topic. Try to identify the standards related to your product and order only these. A complete set of the German VDE-Standards would cost you more than 36000$, but judging from experience you will have to spend 3000$ for the standards you need if you consider all the references necessary.

I beleive that there is harmoniztion of color codes based on EN 60204-1 clause 14.2 - 14.2.4, it reviews specific requirements for use of colors. It also allows for the use of numerical or alphanumerical identification. I realize that you are probably using EN 61010 but depending on the type of Laboratory equipment you build EN 60204-1 may be helpful for large systems that require automation.

Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Thank you for your input ccaserta, and you are correct in the application of EN 60204-1.

Additionally, having conferred with UL, who is certified for third party inspections for CE Mark, the only wire color actually harmonized at this point is the green/yellow protective conductor.

However, in the interest of staying current and giving our clients wire colors to which they are accustomed (and will be harmonized soon), we are moving into utilizing those colors laid out.

sparkyonline, glad the info is useful !

I just wanted to clear something up you mentioned (yes this is a competitor speaking out). There is no such thing as third party accreditation for agencies to perform CE marking. CE Marking is as you know a Self Declaration and it is helpful to have an agency to perform the assessment. But UL has not been certified to perform CE Inspections. There's no such thing !!!

Also I think UL is not correct about the color harmonazation, the colors are harmonized they are in a harmonized standard. This is what makes a requirement harmonized. This clause 14.2 has been accepted by CENLEC and been authorized to the level of EN or Europen Normative.

Explain to UL what EN means, maybe they don't get it.

Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Point well taken....UL has served as an agency of third party review....

CE Mark is a Self Declaration issuance.

On the matter of color harmonization, thank you for your input.
Upon specific inquiry, UL stated to us that such was not the case.

It has not been a problem with any client thus far.

All the better then that we are making this step, and assuring that such matters are met currently.

Electricuwe raises a very good point. I agree that it is easy to spend $3K for standards procurement, but in addition, one can spend $6K in time to educate yourself on the content of those same standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back