Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Source for hardened and ground 420SST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dans95

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2006
US
I have an application which requires a small wear plate. In a previous design the entire part was made of 420 SST hardened to 50-54Rc and showed excellent durability, however the part has small complex features which are difficult ($$$) to machine in 420SST. A possibly better solution is to make the part from aluminum and attach a 420 SST wear plate. I would like to stay with 420 because of the proven durability. I am looking for pre-hardened and ground 420SST plate, .045-.055" which I can send to a shop to laser cut or possibly a vendor that can supply the part complete. An internet search for hardened and ground 420SST hasn't turned up anything promising. Anyone have a source for this kind of application. The parts are small and quantities are low so a 12"x12" plate will go along way.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try 17-4 PH or a similar stainless. It's hard and can be machined; I have never ordered it in sheet form but you can search for that.

You could also send me a dxf file of the part and I can make a better suggestion.

Charlie

I do not think that 17-4PH can be treated to 50-54Rc using the standard recommended treatments such as H900. More than that the hardness can vary up to 10Rc lower for same heat treatment. On the otherhand 420 is well suited for 50-52Rc and can be accurately treated to 50-52Rc. See
MIL-H-6875H page 20 note 11 available at

Nope, PH process takes 17-4 to the low 40s RC for hardness; but, it sometimes is a great substitute. I almost always had it work well for pins and cups that used to be made of 420; I realize it may not work as a wear plate, but it's worth a look.

Charlie

I Forgot to add, that if I knew what the part looked like, and what the real application is, I would be able to respond the the real question; Finding a source for the original design.

We can forget about trying other materials, I didn't mean to detract from the original problem.

Charlie

Thanks for the input. We looked at changing to other materials, however the application is very sensitive to wear and the design with the current materials and hardness is well proven. What I'm looking for is a vendor who stocks hardened and gound SST. My quantities are so low that buying annealed plate then heat treating and grinding would negate the cost savings vs making the entire part out of 420.

Regard,

Dan

Hardened and ground 420 SS is like hen’s teeth and in the thickness (strip) you require even harder. You might try some of the industrial blade people. Also a lot of the speciality knife making people use 420 SS for their competitive knives. Again a lot of imported kitchen and steak knives are 420 SS.

You might try razor blades

General industrial blades.

The following has your your material

They have 420 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back