Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

source of analog 4-Q dc drive controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardnose

Electrical
Aug 6, 2003
US
Who still makes a conventional (analog NOT digital) 4-quadrant DC drive controller (for 480-3-60 input. It appears that the industry was very successfull in telling everybody that "it needs to be digital (= non-repairable, limited life expectancy, complicated start-up (300 parameters to set, in order to keep manufacturers field service personnel busy.
We have drive controller requirements (for high HP / 400 to 900 amp drives / shunt-wound )requiring simple speed control via armature voltage feedback.
Is there anybody (in the US) still making components for such drives (4-q front end speed / current regulator, SCR firing bord adaptable for the gating power of large SCRs.
I am interested in purchasing complete controllers (with or without the power SCR stacks)in chassis form (not enclosed for integration in our own system control enclosures.
(we know Saftronics DC12 (30 year old design, the single controller board is way too large, very outdated with 741 op amps).
I would appreciate supply source suggestions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to " and click on "marketplace", and DC drive manufacturers. This has a list of about 15 viable DC drive manufacturers, MAYBE one still does analog.

Be aware that the people that study market trends report that the DC drive market is shrinking by about 3% per year, the AC VFD is overwhelming all of the traditional variable speed drive technologies.

I talked with a Reliance (Rockwell Automation) person, and they gave me the following to call, 626-969-7647.

It seems that they still have the capability but it will be custom with an appropriate price. Goog luck.

Try Bardac drives. Don't know if they still have analog drives but they were one of the last who had them as of 4 years ago. I can vouch for the quality. Very compact package.

Thanks CB2 and Radarray for the hints.
Bardac does not cover the high current units required.
We found Brook Solutions in Kitchener, Ont. (formerly SAF)
They make DD312 drives up to 800 HP. The unit has an analog front end (regulator) coupled to a digital firing card. They call it "hybrid".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back