Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

source of bosses & studs for ultrasonic welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
US
Does anyone have a catalog of bosses and studs that can be ultrasonically welded to plastic parts? I have some parts that need some attachments added but don't want to create tooling for the attachments.
Such things are very common in metal but I've found them in plastic (other than nylon)yet. I need ABS.

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Those are similar to what I am looking for but I need them to be made out of plastic ot be welded to the part. Not made of metal to be insterted into a boss. I need to be able to add the bosses after the part is molded.

You will have to mould your own boss, and you will need to design the joint surface to give the strength you require.

I am guessing that they need to be in a direction other than line of draw, and side cores are to complex or expensive.

Can you mould the boss in line of draw, but drill the hole in a different line to the boss axis.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

This part of my last answer still applies as I very much doubt that you will get existing mouldings in ABS.

You will have to mould your own boss, and you will need to design the joint surface to give the strength you require.

Regards

That is what I have found. I have fond a couple of shops that will mold fasteners in any material including ABS. However, none of them are suitable for ultrasonic welding.

You can solvent weld or ultrasonically weld an ABS boss to the ABS sheet, then use ultrasonic to insert the metal threaded insert into the boss.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back