Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Source(s) for CWI Practice Exams that Accurately Mimic Actual Exam Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuckYouEngTips

Structural
Dec 5, 2015
US
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable and safe (non-malicious web-page\download) source for CWI Parts A & B exam sample questions ?

I am not interested in AWS Welding Inspection Technology or Hobart "practice" exam type questions since I already have them. Those type exams test basic knowledge using the simple multiple choice format without illustrations, graphs, references to other documents, etc.

I am mostly interested in practice exams that accurately mimic the actual CWI exam Parts A & B questions so as to get a better understanding of question types, styles and formats.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

on type B exam, they will actual send you the B book, a head of time. The type B exam is easy, you just have to read the book, dont memorize anything, its a made of code book. the test is just able to find it in the b book. Its only about twenty pages, and most are pictures ad charts.

master ICC inspector, AWS CWI

Got an 87% on the CWI part A, a little less on the CWI part B (practical). Used the AWS on-line tutorial, plus my own experience.

Where you need to find exam material is for the AWS CWI part C - they ONLY offer classes and training for the structural and for the pipeline welding codes. ASME Section IX? 31.1 and 31.3? You are on your own. No support from the AWS at all.

Beginning February 2016, the CWI exam will be substantially revised. It will now include:

A. Book of Exhibits (will not be provided to certification candidate until the exam)
B. Pipe sample to be inspected to portions (modified \ "fake")
i. ASME 31 - Standards of Pressure Piping
ii. API 1104 - Welding of Pipelines and other Related Facilities
iii. AWS D1.1 - Structural Welding Code - Steel
C. Book of Specifications reflects the above changes and has been increased in size to approximately 55 pages.

Documentation of self-study hours is not required by AWS to qualify to take the CWI exam; qualification is determined by education level, experience inspecting welds to a code(s)\standard(s), and meeting visual acuity requirements as outlined in B5.1 - Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors.

Just took the CWI exam in January. All new study materials for the practical.
The new materials are now based on actual codes instead of made up ones.
Very in depth and difficult exam. They have added pipe molds to the mix, and all the molds are brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back