Source to purchase Copper Oxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshore

Materials
Jan 5, 2009
CA
Good Morning,

I require approximately 10,000 pounds of copper oxide for an industrial application (furnace flux). Wondering if this could be purchased as a by product....would anyone have suggestions as to where this might be sourced?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect you will have extreme difficulty sourcing this material from anywhere other than a chemical supplier. CuO is quite reactive and I cant even imagine an industrial process where this might be a byproduct. It does occur naturally as an ore at some copper mines, but generally as part of a bigger ore block of Copper Sulhide. The CuO is a nuisance in that CuS is easily recovered at 90-95% recovery but the CuO typically only achieves 50-60% recovery.

Try some of the big copper producers in the southern USA bu dont be too optimistic

There surely is an industry group interested in applications that might use this material. Otherwise there is google.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Are you looking for CuO (black in color) or Cu[sub]2[/sub]O (red in color)?

CuO (Copper(II) Oxide, black stuff) is used in the hazardous material disposal industry. Might try one of the folks.

Cu[sub]2[/sub]O (Copper(I) Oxide, red stuff) is used in the marine paint industry as an antifouling agent for boat hull paint. Try calling a paint company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back