Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sources for information on composites, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwalz

Materials
May 29, 2002
US
I would appreciate any sources anyone would care to recommend.

I do know about Google, etc. but there seems to be more than a few here with a much broader knowledge base and higher level of sophistication than the information proved by the average Google (etc.) search.

I am particularly interested in the use of composites in manufacturing and the tooling and techniques required. I know a bit about wood, fiberglasses, MDF (and similar). I even know a bit about cutting CFRC (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite) but not nearly as much as I would like.

Sincerely,
Tom Walz

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are a few books I have in electronic format. I get the books from virtual libraries. If you were a member of ASME, IMechE or Engineeers Australia you could also get access. If not subscribe to Knovel and get access.

In addition you may get free circulation of inducstry magazine such as Reinforced Plastics.

DNV or Norske publish specific standards related to GRP/FRP piping.

Composite Construction Nethercott
Ageing of Composites Woodhead
Composites Manufacturing CRC
Fibrereinforced Plastics Cheriminoff
Handbook of Composites S T Peters
Laminar Composites George Staab
US Army Non Destructive Testing of Composites

There are many more texts on failure analysis, FEA, design etc

Compositepro software will enable you to design pipe products.

Perhaps you could share with us what business you want to get more information on. Aviation, marine, chemical pipework, buckets and spades for the beach....

"Sharing knowledge is the way to immortality"
His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Resin and reinforcement materials and machinery suppliers often provide very good technical data, albeit with a lean toward their product.

It is an exceptionally broad subject and individuals interpretation of the meaning varies widely. Technically you could include concrete for instance.

Most consider it thermoset plastic resins like polyester or epoxy reinforced with very long fibres.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Resins like Urea, Melamine and Phenol Formaldehydes with various fillers from wood flour to cotton fibre and glass and talk and many others are also considered composites by most who care to think about it.

Some even consider short fibre reinforced thermoplastics as composites.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Thank you all.

We are in the tool business, especially the high performance end of the cutting tool business. Really long life saw blades for sawmills as well as MDF and OSB plants, etc. Ultra accurate cutting tools. Etc.

I am now working on designing advanced materials and tools to use in machining composites.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

The primary organization and exposition for aerospace composites is SAMPE. The main annual show will be in Baltimore May 21. For windmills and boats and stuff the main composites organization is ACMA. High Performance Composites Magazine has an exceptional Buyer's guide where you can find other manufacturers of cutting tools for composites. I composites "tooling" refers to the molds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back