Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sourcing a Battery Pack for ROV deployments

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary0

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2014
US
Hello All,
I have an instrument which needs to be deployed, along with an independent power pack to act as a UPS during the deployment. Does anyone have any recommendations on sourcing a deployable battery pack, including a pressure vessel. The battery pack's pressure vessel must be rated for 2000m depth. The pack has to be able to supply 12+ Ah with peak draws at 5-6A and steady current in the ballpark of 3-4A. Any thoughts on the topic are appreciated.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what other requirements do you have? size? weight? number of cycles? cost?

I know silver zinc batteries are used at that depth, for example. It would appear to be attractive to use a vanadium pentoxide redox battery system, since all the working fluids are aqueous solutions it would not need a pressure vessel.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hi Greg,
Thanks for getting back. Here are the requirements :
24V DC
Discharge rates must be able to spike over 6A
Discharge rates are generally 3A
Requires 20 - 25 Ah

When you say that a Vanadium Pentoxided redox system would not need a pressure vessel, are they built to flood with ambient water, or are they filled to equalize pressure without any internal voids ?

Size and Weight we can roll with to an extent. To ballpark size, 8 cubic feet in volume would be at the upper limit and 200 lbs in weight.

I'll check out your links, thanks. Any thoughts on Redux battery sources ? I'd probably better look at a catalogue

Thanks Greg, I'll look into the Vanadium Pentoxided technology in general terms in any case.
I was really not being specific about the battery sizes, just ball parking the roughest possible boundaries of my system. It's early in the design, so I don't want to get bogged down in decisions which may limit my options.
Best Regards,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back