Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sourcing Transformerless AC/DC Converter IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanco

Electrical
May 3, 2003
MY

I am looking for Transformerless AC/DC Converter IC. Anybody can help me on any semiconductors manufacturer do produce the IC of below rating :-

Input AC :- 220~240 V
Output DC :- 12 V
Output Current : 0.5A-1.0A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whatever you find be careful that they are not isolated, so touching the load could be dangerous. Besides, as they might work with a zener diode to regulate the voltage, if you disconnect the load this IC will get warmer. So when you wanna disconnect your load, turn of the AC voltage not simply switch off the load.
If you'd like a discrete suggestion: feed a Zener (12 Volt- 10W) through a resistor serial with a forward diode, and put a proper dc capacitance in parallel with zener to damp the possible ripple.

I hope it would help
Zimbali

Contact Rohm Electronics. They make a series of AC/DC power modules that are very easy to implement. Example: BP5034D12 converts 120vac to 12vdc. They probably have 220 vac modules also. Be Careful - you don't have line isolation for protection. Your circuit ground will be line neutral and if the phases get reversed, your ground wll be hot!

Hello,
There is a Harris HV-2405E. Input: 15Vrms - 275Vrms, Dual output voltages available, Ouput Current up to 50mA Output Voltage 5V to 24V.
There is also a Supertex SR036 and SR037 but Vout is only 3.3V and 5.0V
You can always put a 1:1 transformator if you need a isolation.
I hope this will help you.

This is an enormous amount of current for any transformerless power supply that I've ever designed. Why so much current? Why not use a transformer?

tensi,

combining such an IC and an isolation transformer wouldn't be much usfull. If space is available for a line frequency transformer a step-down transformer with rectifier and one of the commonly used linear or switchmode regulators can be used.

Such ICs are intended only for applications where you need to supply low voltage to parts of a system which is already provided with safety insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back