Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Southern Pine (Wet Service Conditions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopalu

Structural
Feb 3, 2006
US
For 6x6 posts, the species most commonly available in this Wisconsin area is SYP #2. The only design values available in the NDS are for (Wet Service Conditions). The posts will not be exposed to the weather. Do I need to alter the design values by any factors in any way?

thank you ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Always" can be dangerous word, but I'll go out on a limb...
For wood, dry conditions are "always" less severe than wet conditions. The conservative answer is to not make any adjustment for the situation that you describe.

With that said, where, and in which version of NDS do you find your quoted information? I don't see it in NDS 2001 (but I may be looking in the wrong place).

The excellent link provided by boo1 is dead because it is "missing" one character, here is the correction

[reading]

Yep, the only thing that means is that you don't have to apply a Cm adjustment to those species, even if they are used where MC>19%. There is no analagous "increase" for those species available if they're used in dry conditions.

This is made a little clearer in the Supplement, look at the notes prior to Table 4D.

SlideRuleEra,

I am using the 2001 NDS Supplement, Table 4D Design Values for Visually Graded Timbers (5" x 5" and larger)

Thank you for all of your advice ...

AWC lists the current version of the NDS is 2005

For member design, the adjusted bending design value,
Fb?, of a sawn lumber bending member is determined as follows:
For ASD:
Fb?=Fb CD CM Ct CL CF Cfu Ci Cr
For LRFD:
Fb? = Fb KF ?b l CM Ct CL CF Cfu Ci Cr

The 2005 NDS includes a revised format for column and beam behavioral equations to address both ASD and LRFD:
NDS 2005 3.3.3.8:

The form factor, Cf, has been removed from the 2005 NDS.

see: Published AWC Articles and Papers NDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back