Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOWs: RS Means Format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechElement

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2005
US
I am in a warzone and do not have access to any reference of such. Project Management wants to incorporate the RS Means format into all engineering SOW's.

I am not extremely familiar with the RS Means Format. I have been researching the format and it is quite in-depth. From what I understand, it provides the estimators a consistant method/format of a SOW for which they use to base an estimate.

Is there a template available for Microsoft Word to implement the RS Means format for SOWs? If not, where can I download a SOW which has every section of the RS Means within the SOW?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, never heard of an 'RS Means' format for a scope of work. If 'Project Management' want to incorporate this then surely they can give you some guidance.

So RSMeans is a standard work breakdown structure (WBS) or bill of materials (BOM) for construction cost estimating?

MechElement, do you intend asking bidders to submit their price or quantities in a tender schedule that's consistent with RSMeans' standard WBS or BOM?

Here's what I understand so far...

The estimating department purchased software to base ALL of their estimates off of a SOW in the RS Means format. This was done a long time ago, probably a year or two. Our SOWs have been written without using the format and I think estimating has been voicing their opinion of our SOWs not meeting their software criteria. So project management wants us to reformat all recently released SOWs to the RS Means format and stick with that format for any other projects.

Here's the funny thing, not one single company bidding over here even knows about the RS Means format. When they submit a bid, they actually recreate our SOW and add in some of their statements and submit it BACK to us. They do the same thing with the drawings. I can actually sit and review their technical proposals and read verbatim et literatum straight from our SOW.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a complete SOW in the RS Means format so i can at least make a template.

Thanks for the link IRstuff.

does this help?

If the anticipated costs of your work orders and projects leave you guessing, use the built-in interface to the RS Means Facilities Construction Cost Database for more accurate information. When you purchase the RS Means Interface as an add-on option, this database of repair jobs (tasks) with estimated cost and time to complete is incorporated in the TMA task library in addition to the TMA facilities maintenance database. When you create Work Orders, you can toggle between the internal database of tasks and the RS Means database of repair tasks.

RS Means provides the tools for constructing more accurate and dependable construction estimates and budgets by collecting data from all facets of the industry and organizing it in a format that is instantly accessible. From the preliminary budget to the detailed unit price estimate, you’ll find this data useful for all phases of construction cost determination. The RS Means Facilities Maintenance and Repair Costs database contains tasks, time and cost estimates that can be used for planning work orders and projects as well as evaluating different construction cost possibilities. In addition, the RS Means option assists you with benchmarking the performance of your organization against national standards.

If you use the TMA Projects module and have purchased the Means CostWorks® CD, the RS Means estimate of hours, labor, and materials can be used to plan the project

MechElement:

1. Leverage REACHBACK capabilities. a) you obviously have access to the web. b) contact your home office and get them to send you what it is they want you to produce.

2. You can purchase the RSMeans books and have them sent to you anywhere. APO's are no exception.

3. "Here's the funny thing, not one single company bidding over here even knows about the RS Means format. When they submit a bid, they actually recreate our SOW and add in some of their statements and submit it BACK to us. They do the same thing with the drawings. I can actually sit and review their technical proposals and read verbatim et literatum straight from our SOW."

Without telling us too much about what you're doing, here's what I deduce: You work for a highly-visible agency. You're charged with writing scopes of work that a highly-controversial contractor is supposed to execute. Time is the most important engineering material, so it's got to be done fast - that means it's going to be expensive, but done it will get. You were originally instructed (to some degree) that vague SOWs were "good enough" and that putting in certain specs, etc. would be too much... Now the PM's have discovered that doing business this way is really expensive - and it's your fault, so they're trying to impose some sort of controlling mechanism on the way projects are delivered/executed. And of course, the contractors have NEVER heard of whatever method PM is requiring. Most contractors don't even know what a hammer is until you pay them enough.

4. If you have the time to do all this research - stuff that your estimating department is, per your discription, already has a good handle on, then your process is more important than your product. If you're in a "warzone" - as you say - just what the heck are you doing there? While you're researching something that your own BM's, er PM's, don't know enough about, brave people are getting killed, no? Tell the PM's that there's a war going on and you have real work to do. If they're so worried about a process - a process/format that your company already has in place (why are you researching it? Call you chief estimator and get a copy) - who is doing the work?

If you are getting paid to hunt wild geese at PM's pleasure, look for another line of work. Unless you like pain.

DaveVikingPE,

I already assessed my options.

1.) Emails have already been sent requesting RS Means from the theater engineering manager.

2.) You have no idea how long it will take for the company to actually purchase something and have it delivered. I ordered plotter paper and ink and it's been 4 months and they "don't exactly know" where the shipment is. Anything ordered over a certain dollar amount must go through the system and avoid petty cash.

3.) You're right. The PMs already knew it was expensive doing business this way, but it's the way it has to be done as per the client's deadline. Specs were always called out to cover our tails and keep QA/QC quiet, but the contractors never meet the specs anyway. They just don't know how.

4.) I've already been in touch with the estimating department and their software does not break down the SOW requirements. I found an example of one SOW online, but it is incomplete.

What the heck am I doing here? I'm supporting the United States Armed Forces as a civillian.

Wait a minute, your PMs want you to put the SOW in a format that your estimating department has been doing for two years and your estimating department's software doesn't do what PM says it does?

Something's not making sense.

The back section of an RS Means book have examples of work to be done and breakdowns of what equipment and labor are typically required. If that's whats required in a tabular scope of work, it's pretty easy: all you need is the book and a spreadsheet.

And the whole RS Means CostWorks package is on sale for less than $500. buy it yourself!

"What the heck am I doing here? I'm supporting the United States Armed Forces as a civillian."

As a contractor, right? Because otherwise you'd have FFE resources you'd be using and wouldn't have these problems.

You should have indicated CONSTRUCTION at the start. It is a contracting world unto itself.
happy.gif

Thanks for all the help.

I got it all squared away with. I presented the proper format for SOW's on this project set forth by procurement and lawyers to cover all aspects of the legality issues. Sr. Project Management was very happy. They want the estimators to remain using the RS Means format for estimating. Evidently, they were a bit hastey to jump ship so quickly about SOWs.

I was actually able to get CostWorks from the estimators (which they received a couple weeks ago) and it has all of the proper sections for construction projects using the RS Means numbering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back