Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SP4-bad experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc78

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
IE
Hi there. I updated a few machines at work from SP3 to SP4 (2006) and over the days I found that there were a huge amount of problems. Opening DT's slowed down by 100% as did closing them. Many mates errors appeared where previouly they were not present. Then when I did an edit feature on the mates they would be ok (and then turn bad again if i closed and opened the part). Slow down with just about everything occured too (simple things like updating a dimension in context of an assy took forever). SW crashed much more frequently too on all 3 machines we upgraded and it generally became much more unstable. I have just rolled back to SP3 and problems have disappeared. I don't have time to do SW job for them and write an essay on what I have found - just tread carefully if you intend upgrading to this SP.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I share your pain. There is one more very important (for me) "improvement" that was made in SP-3.4 and up. In the column properties of "revision table" drop dowm box to select custom property is gone. What is left is "title". So if you work with SW "revision table" make sure, that you do not loose old "revision tables". If you do, you are out of sh... out of luck.

Sorry to see you guys having such bad luck with SP4.0 or 4.1. I have not had any such isses with either of these SP's. For some reason I think it varies on the install situation between systems and even possibly permissions.

Best of luck to each of you.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Strange--mine's been more robust than the previous version (3.4) I was running. I've been working with live assemblies of 1,600 parts (non-light-weight), stressing the RAM and processors, and have had fewer bugs/crashes with 4.0. I just had a project in which a single part was gobbling 1 GB of RAM, and SW never crashed--even when doing some "risky" things in which I'd expected a crash.

However, I'm not doing any drawings or things related to drawings--which it sounds like you guys are doing--perhaps a difference there?

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

From my own experience, it depends on how the pc is setup, how SW was installed, and how SW is used. Follow the FAQ's here, make each of your pc's the same, and most problems will go away.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

neil ... judging from a previous thread of yours (]Slow Loading Drawings thread559-149200) I would conclude that there is something else in your companys computers/network which is limiting, or in conflict with, SW. What that might be, however, I have no idea. Your network setup would be my number one guess though.

Have you looked through the Tools Options Settings for SW2006 document in the Rules of Thumb section of There may be some tweaks in the options you may have overlooked.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Just opening SW, even after a reboot, it is using 200 Mb of ram (task manager > Processes tab). This is without any drawings or parts open. Is 200 Mb of memory on par with you guys too?

Flores
SW06 SP4.0

From a reboot with all add-ins off, the "SOLIDWORKS.exe" process peaks at 109MB.
With a few add-ins on it peaks to about 140MB

[cheers]

On my home machine I peaked at 100MB with no add-ins.
With FeatureWorks, PhotoWorks, Ref Dim Labels, Save As PDF,SolidMech 4.1.1 & SW Animator added-in I peaked at 142MB.
So the add-ins do make a big difference.

Also, I noticed that the Mem Usage drops a huge amount when SW is minimised then maximised. I was also suprised at the VM usage!

[cheers]

I got 152MB. I'll have a look through the FAQ but in general in future I will be very cautious about upgrading. I think you would really need to trial each SP on one pc for a couple of weeks

Yes, SP 4.x has supposedly fixed serveral problems but there are a few new things I can do to make SW crash. I turned a couple of reports in to the VAR. Is it my imagination but wasn't SW2005 more stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back