Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spaceclaim - 2D sketching

Status
Not open for further replies.

assafwei

Materials
Jul 20, 2008
IL
Hi,

I started using spaceclaim after about 5 years using design modeler for geometry prep, and for the love of god, I cant understand how this software is claimed to be a CAD tool.
Ive used most of the main CAD tools out there (Solidworks, Catia, Inventor, Solid Edge, NX) and I've never encountered such an un-user-friendly CAD interface.

Can anyone please explain to me (and I am asking after hours of searching in google and help docs) how am I supposed to give dimensions in a sketch (creating a sketch to be used for a pull operation for example).
I can only dimension existing curves by clicking on them, but cant figure out how to give dimensions between 2 curves and between a curve on an existing 3D body to a new curve in a sketch. This should be basic functionality of a CAD tool and I really looked for hours how to do it in spaceclaim.

This is my main issue at the moment, but I have a few more things I cant figure out:

1. are there any other options beside "pull" to create a 3D body out of a sketch (like revolve etc.).
2. Is there a way to work with a normal hierarchy tree, where I can see all my sketches, all the operations I did and edit them if I need to? In the current state, if I find out a mistake I need to redo everything, I really dislike the concept of direct/no history CAD.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use project to sketch tool to project edges/points/etc from 3d body to a sketch.
You also should be able to revolve or sweep instead of pulling.

Could you post a picture of the sketch? I would just use the ruler tool to set distances between entities.
I have to mention that I do not sketch a lot with SCDM.
You use ruler tool by selecting for example a line in sketch, then it should be available in General tab.
I believe it becomes available after you have selected the line and the direction you want to move it from the triad.

I dont have (or I dont see) a ruler tool while in sketch, only while using "pull", and while in pull it is really not convenient to use to edit a sketch. It was a breeze in DM (and DM is a pretty bad tool for creating sketches comparing to decent CAD suites).

Is it really that hard to give dimensions to a sketch in SCDM? for me it is a basic necessity for creating fluid domains for example.

I just tested it, should be there in the general tab. You cannot select it before selecting an entity and the direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back