Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spacing of spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

archeng59

Structural
Aug 24, 2005
US
I am working on a project where the architect wants to "nail" five 10x10 timber columns together to create a large, wide column element. The AITC manual does not provide any criteria for the spacing of spikes other than to not split the wood and information about the drill size for pilot holes. I am specifying 1/2" diameter spikes at 6" o.c. with the spikes in each "layer" staggered 3". Just curious if anyone has any rules of thumb picked up in the timber framing world that might be helpful. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never heard of doing this - usually just thru-bolted. I would think with 7/16" pilot holes at the 3" spacing though you should be OK. Just watch the edge distances.

I guess I would have to ask if he just wants to see a spike for the Architectural effect? If so, just pound the exposed boltheads to smitherines! [hammer]

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The architect wants a column 46 1/4" (five 10x10's side by side) x 9 1/4". Could thru-bolt, but the architect does not want to see the bolts/nuts. There are no edge distance criteria for spikes/nails like there is for bolts, unless you just use the same criteria which is what I intend to do.

Not looking for options. Glulam is not an option. The architect wants the spike heads to show. Go figger, but this is what the architect convinced the owner to do. I'll just use the same edge spacing and fastener spacing criteria as for a bolt.

Dry environment, I hope... I would probably 'tack' them together with pre-drilled spikes and use adhesive... Shrinkage could be a whole bunch... and likely develop face splits... 5 - 10x10's would have a load capacity of maybe 500K... how tall is the building <G>...

Dik

I would thru bolt the center three 10x10's with counter sunk nuts. Then spike the end 10x10's for the look.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

I like the combo option from Boo and Woodman by facing a large glulam with non-load-carrying lumber by spiking them to the engineered column. The thru-bolts being counter sunk is perfect too.

Before you doing anything creative, make sure the code likes the artwork you are trying to wow the world with.

Look at timber bridge deck details. We have built some decks using 12x12's and using sledge hammers to install the spikes. I'm not in my office now - but I remember some timber bridge drawing details with a blue cover(!). I used an oval platform constructed like this for a tunnel work platform on a 40 degree slope. I believe these details are quite common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back