Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spanglers Area Load of Infinite Length Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFGeotech

Geotechnical
Jun 4, 2018
US
I am trying to calculate the increase in stress due to a strip load and I have done so using Boussinesq and a method from an US ACOE manual (EM 1110-02). I would also like to calculate it using Spangler's method but I do not know how to use his equation (see the attached). It appears to be some sort of limit but I'm not sure. I can work the equation by plugging in both x1 and x2 but I'm not sure if that's right. It's been quite some time since calculus for me. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=55334e0f-ede5-4a17-8ff3-9331f4f81cde&file=Spangler_-_Area_Load_of_Infinite_Footing.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It has also been awhile since calculus for me. I believe the process is:

Step 1. Select a depth=z
Step 2. Calculate Eqn. 21.40 where x=x2
Step 3. Caclulate Eqn. 21.40 where x=x1
Step 4. Subtract Step 3 from Step 2. This is your increase in pressure at a certain depth=z
Step 5. Repeat for various depths until you have enough points to plot a line

"Elastic Solutions for Soil and Rock Mechanics" by Poulos and Davis has tables of influence values. It is available on line for free. I think what you want is on Page 36.

As for doubling the pressure for rigid walls, I'm an old Spangler student, and I believe he did considerable testing to confirm that theory. I suspect, however, that fairly small deflections will lower that pressure considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back