Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spare Transformer storage Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez01

Electrical
Oct 13, 2010
US
We are planning to store a 700MVA (about 900,000 lbs) transformer in a new foundation with storm drain facility. The foundation will not have any fire protrection (sprinkler system) but will have oil containment pit.
We'd like to know what requirements are there for storage of a spare transformer in a power plant switchyard (midwest US). I have some NFPA requirements and IEEE requirements. The transformer WILL NOT BE energized while stored, but it's auxilliaries (pumps and fans) will be energized frequently. Hence we will have groundings provided for the aux (ground grid might have to be constructed).

Concern I have is regarding the distance the transformer should be from any building structure and ground grid requirements.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One point to remember is spare transformer is liable to absorb more moisture than a running transformer esp with free breathing conservator with silicagel breather.Problem will be less with atmoseal or sealed units.Upkeep of gel, monitoring the oil sight window in atmoseal system are important in a spare transformer.

If you have power on the transofrmer to circulate the oil then consider an active drying unit such as a DryCol breather.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Appreciate the input
But I am more looking towards the requirement for the foundation at this time. How far from any existing building should the transformer be and which IEEE code (not 60) should be used for grounding etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back