Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sparger design in fermenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Dec 19, 2001
MY
Hi, everybody. Recently i was assigned to do a plant design of monosodium glutamate plant. I need to know the mechanical design of a sparger, eg the diameter, the number of holes and the diameter of the hole. thanks for ur help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did quite a bit of sparger related design work in a previous job. The Perry's reference is a good place to start but you may want to go a little deeper. Let me know if you're interested in assistance.

It would help to know what you are trying to do with your sparger. Is it for agitation, is it for heat transfer, is it to disolve the gas into the liquid?
I have found a good supplier in Komax. They make inexpensive spargers that agitate if that is what you want. I have used them to sparge steam into water to heat up the water.
They have a very good web site, as well.
Let me know if I can be of further help.
Bob Sander Bob Sander
robert.sander@bpsolvaype.com

the sparger is used to help the agitation in the fermenter and also to increase the dissolved oxygen concentration.

any deeper info pls let me know. From literature, the diameter of the orifice is around 6mm. It also stated that the total area of the holes is equal or less than the cross-sectional area of the tube. But i do not know the interval between the holes.Do u think of any reference can help me?
For ur knowledge, my recent design is:
diameter of the ring sparger: 0.76 m and
number of holes = 27

Your design looks good. I have used similar criteria to design spargers introducing steam into water and air into a fluidized bed. I cannot give you any further help on spacing the holes to avoid coalescence of the bubbles.
If I have understood you well, you want to do the same thing that a distribution plate in a fluidized bed is trying to do.
I would suggest that you make the total area of your orifices much less than the area of the tube to be sure you get bubbles out of all the orifices. The best would be to make your ring open to the supply of air at both ends rather than only one. That way you can best assure that the pressure on the inside of the tube is nearly the same at all orifices. Since your ring is rather small, that might be less of a problem.
Good luck. Bob Sander
robert.sander@bpsolvaype.com

Bob, do u know how to calculate the pressure drop in the sparger hole? I referred to Perry's, the formula is as below:

delta P = 1/Co x Vo2/2

I get 5.9 psi. Is it realistic or not? What is the typical value for the pressure drop for a sparger system sparge air into the vessel?

Does anyone know of a supplier or company who could design and provide a sparger to meet certain requirements? Anyone have experience designing/using spargers to heat a boiler using 250 psig steam? Any other resources would be helpful.

THANKS
Jon Katz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back